Monday, September 10, 2007

Name-dropped the Vonnegut...

So I was having this convo today, getting all deep and meaningful, when someone name-dropped the Vonnegut. Oh, boy. Love the Kurt. Anyway, we started going on about how Kurt said we should be careful about how we imagine our lives, because that will be what our lives become.


I am fascinated by this, because it asserts the theory that our reality only exists because of how we imagine it. Those of you who knew me during *cue the ominous cellody music* the grad school years, know that this was the foundational theme of my thesis. The idea has been around way before Vonnegut, but basically Kurt underscored that there is no such thing as the human brain ever having the capability for true objectivity. Everything is subjective.

Whatdya think? Are we governed to reason based on what we become as a result of the sum of our experiences?

3 comments:

Chiv said...

Moist robots, I say, moist robots!

HOLMES said...

Not only do I agree with Vonnegut, I witness the evidence of his truth every single freakin' day in various forms... at school, at home, with my mom...

Bet your dissertation is a great read!

Shelly

journeyinfinite said...

I like to think it's a great read, tho admittedly you have to trek about through a bunch of lit. nerd theatrics...hey man, that's what lights my fire...heehee :-)