Monday, October 15, 2007

(*Note of blah -- I have some bug of freakiosity which made me really sick to my stomach today...but I'm starting to feel better... which means I now have the strength and ability to get vertical and start typing...*)

Journey v. Destination -- and -- Why I think that Barack Obama's flag-pinless lapel is a non-issue...

There's a saying that proposes, "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Concentrating too much on destination distracts from the journey; and as much as being goal-oriented is a very, very, good thing, not appreciating the path that gets you there makes you miss out on life's best lessons and epiphanies.

With candor, I must say that my friends are quite a diverse crew. If I look at my friendships throughout my life, I'd say my friendships are amongst exceptionally
diverse people. Interestingly enough, the differences end up underscoring the similarities -- such as how alike we are in our essential needs, wants, fears...

Therefore -- to my friends of different nations, backgrounds, cultures, beliefs... who are male, female, gay, straight, conservative, liberal -- I must say that it is amazing to be a part of the universal energy that connects us and allows us to see each other from the inside out.

And Barack -- you rock. If you feel that your patriotism is embedded in the person you are and your deeds and accomplishments, (as opposed to following sheeple who say you can only be a patriot by wearing a pin) then you SHOULD stand up for what you know is right. Now, whether or not people are insightful enough to understand and respect that...hmmm, will remain to be seen.

3 comments:

HOLMES said...

Hope you are feeling better! Stomach grief is the worst.

The whole flag on the lapel thing reminds me of something George Carlin said once. This is truly offensive to some people but I totally see the point: "No one can die anymore without teddy bears being left on a fence."

How many bears you get when you die doesn't measure grief any more than a flag measures patriotism.

Maybe a bear could measure patriotism?

journeyinfinite said...

LOVE the George Carlin! Loved him since I was a child way too young to be watching him on HBO at my friend's house! Saw him New Year's Eve at the Majestic a few years ago. Freakin' awesome...

Still feeling pretty ick. I wonder if I have one of those week-long flu things. Makes me a little biatch-cakes at work ;-P

Chiv said...

"Freakiosity" "Sheeple" "Biatch cakes" Something about your fever screams out that you want to write a new dictionary ;D