Monday, October 01, 2007

Quirky or dorky???


Sometimes, you just feel like your watching the world from the outside -- scratching your head and mumbling, "Oops, I have socially blundered in regard to something people find relevant."


Many people have come up to me lately, all back-slappingly saying, "Yeah, Rutgers!"


Rutgers is my alma mater. So I'm like, "Woot?!?"


It's a football thing. Rutgers is doing well in an important football tournament or playoff or something, but I have complete ADD when it comes to watching/following sports. I like playing some sports; and if I know someone involved in a sport, I am happy for them when they are doing well. But I am so not vicarious when it comes to observing others play sports. I have a shorted-out brain fuse or something when it comes to watching sports.


This is considered weird because most people enjoy this type of activity when relaxing alone, or as a social bonding with others who enjoy watching sports. And it looks fun when they are doing it. Why doesn't this work for me? Frick!


So sports-related bonding entails a case of me feeling marginally socially unacceptable. I simply cannot talk about or follow sports. I suppose if I took a class in it I could do it in order to study for an exam, but I can't do it under my free will alone.


This lack of vicariousness also applies to me being utterly bored out of my skull when it comes to "reality" TV shows...they are too scripted to resemble anything real, but not scripted enough that I find them witty. However, people apparently love them -- new ones are constantly being created.


Sooo... adorably quirky or out-there dorky -- you decide ;-)

3 comments:

Chiv said...

Adorably dorky :P

HOLMES said...

From a statistics standpoint and possessing an encyclopedic knowledge of the players and all the numbers that go with sports... I am an idiot. I have neither the patience or brain-o-dex cards to keep track of all that. Most sports bore me. The ones I like are either REALLY easy to figure out (curling), involve just one person (archery), or amuse me for reasons that have NOTHING to do with the sport itself (football).

When I'm at the actual event, I cannot pay attention to it and miss every important/crucial part. I get distracted by the lights, the crowd, conversation, birds, airplanes, the paper program, the announcer...

But I can quote entire episodes of Seinfeld and all of Beverly Hills Cop. ???

Strange.

And I vote for "aquirkably dorky".

journeyinfinite said...

...AND there's always the stellar possibility of QUIRKDORKABLE -- "not that there's anything wrong with that" Hehehe ;-D