Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Simulation

Had this simulation at work today where we role-played various socio-economic situations found in our society in general. The specific goal was to understand diverse populations found in the workplace. I was a 19-year-old single mom with a one-year-old "baby" living with "not-my-baby-daddy".

Point was to explore the vastly different dynamics in the thinking of someone who is surviving on a day-to-day basis as opposed to the thinking of a more economically stable populace which focuses on improving life and the future.

Some really great, insightful things came of this immersion. I became aware of stress and frustration over situations that I normally don't consider.

Some odd things happened as well. My "not-baby-daddy" ran off because of football (he IS actually a coach), so I was left with the "baby", no income, and barely any bus passes.

My traumatized "baby" became psychotic. He tackled other "babies" and would wander off as I waited in line. And he enjoyed punishment.

Made paying the utility bill a challenge.

2 comments:

HOLMES said...

Poverty simulation made me not want kids. I know that is terrible!

My dad was my real dad, but our mom divorced him and he kept referring to her as "that whore".

And I never took into account the sheer WAITING AROUND that people have to do to pay bills if they don't have bank accounts or online banking! The line at the utility place was insane.

It was a GREAT activity, I agree.

Shelly

journeyinfinite said...

Sure opened up my eyes...