Friday, August 17, 2007

Why being a nerd is SO GOOD...

I don't get it when people use the word "nerd" with derision. I LOVE being a nerd :-) The people I know who are nerds are intellectually fascinating, complex, multi-faceted, open-minded lifelong journeyers and learners...where is the negative angle in that?

My nerdiness manifests itself in a few customary ways. One is that I am endlessly curious and love to explore new ideas, theories, concepts, places, and the like. Anything I find interesting is fair game for me to read about, ask knowledgeable people about, or just go there and see and learn about firsthand. So far, I've never run out of new things I want to know about. I really, really, hope I never run out.

Oh, and there's the daydreaming. The jennyverse (jenny universe) is a comical place, indeed. It also is where my creative ideas are born, some of which I end up finding useful places for in the actual world. Some help me with staying creative and inventive at work, and some keep me innovative in my writing and creative pursuits. Oh, and some are just fun to tell people about :-P

Luckily, I also have an extremely practical side, which keeps the bills paid, and my life in the happy place.

All I know is that when someone calls me a nerd, I light up inside and out, and I'm like, "I know, right!" :-D

2 comments:

HOLMES said...

Girl, are we ever on the same page. My friends and I got pegged as the "nerd herd" in high school and I was kind of proud that someone noticed.

Being endlessly curious and wanting to learn is, like, what keeps the planet from falling apart!

See you Monday-
Shelly

journeyinfinite said...

^5 fellow nrdgrrrl :-D