Tuesday, November 27, 2007



The Beowulf movie is goood...

I freakin' loved
Beowulf . Yeah, the story has been manipulated, but I don't know why people are hating on that. Robert Zemeckis made no secret of the screenwriters taking liberties with the original poem. Also, I once had a professor who told my class never to compare movies to the books upon which they are based. It will just frustrate the frick out of you since literature and cinema are two completely different mediums. Therefore, perceive the movie as simply based upon the book, and not necessarily an accurate telling of it.

That said, I could enjoy the movie in all its blasphemous-to-the-actual-story gloriousness. The action and suspense are fantastico and the cinematography blended with CGI keeps the viewer suspended in the freakish fantasy.


3 comments:

Kelli Nørgaard said...

you are such an english teacher... I LOVE IT!! :o) You get excited about literary stuff just like I do!!

HOLMES said...

Girl, I completely agree about movie vs. book. Saying one is better is like saying the Mona Lisa greeting card sucks because it isn't the actual Mona Lisa. Two totally different things.

journeyinfinite said...

I do power-nerd out with the lit. scene. It's like I was born doing that...

Ya, if you just try to enjoy the movie based on the parameters of what cinema is able to do well -- and just let go of the movie having to look exactly as you pictured the lit. when you read it, it allows you to enjoy well-made movies more. You don't get your knickers in a twist about "interpretation". It's possible to completely engage in well-made lit.-based films if you can "let go" that way. It's kind of training yourself NOT to be meta-cognitive. However, if you have to think yourself out of doing it, that's kinda meta in and of itself ;-)