Sunday, March 18, 2007

Wrestling with a hurricane...

I have noticed that people usually become friends with people who have elements of their personalities which are alike. Think about it...are most of your friends in some way like you? Mine are. I think it would be interesting to have some friends who were vastly different than myself...but is that even possible? Different ethics, politics, views of world issues...would we make each other go insane and then avoid eye contact at all costs if we were to meet again?

There is a philosophical idea that our friends mirror ourselves in certain aspects. I agree with it. I wish people had the ability to agree to disagree on "the big issues", but I think many people find that tolerance is one thing, but friendship is quite another.

2 comments:

Skylar said...

I can say the majority of my friends do, indeed, have some qualities that I myself portray. That being said, we, of course, don't always agree on everything. We do have the same spritual beliefs, and for the post part, the same opinions on politics.

I would also like to venture outside of my comfort zone more often. I love to meet new people, there's no doubt about that. But also, when it comes to meeting new people, if I really think about it, what usually draws me to that certain individual is similarities I see between that person and myself.

I do, on the other hand, have friends who are a complete opposite of me. I'm totally fine with that, because I think everyone has the right to have their own opinions, beliefes, etc...but I also don't think those people and I have as close relationships as some of my other firends who I have more in common with. I hate to say that, I really do. I like to think of myself as an open individual, and very accepting. For the most part I am. I am also a very determind person, and will stick up for my beliefs. I will debate on anything!

I'd say I'm pretty open minded, and am willing to hear other people out. Not so they can change my mind about my own securities, but so that I can better understand theirs.

I guess I have some "bettering of myself" to do. I need to be a little more accepting, and again, would like to venture outside my comfort zone more often.

I look forward to reading more of your thoughts, worries, concerns, beliefs, etc.

Skylar

journeyinfinite said...

Yup, S -- the idea of venturing outside one's comfort zone is exactly it.