Sunday, April 08, 2007

Taxing to the depths of my soul...

First -- knuckles and a high five to Scott Adams for this quote:

"At this point, the so-called government does little more than provide content for news channels and blogs. I think they should do more. For example, I’d like to see Congressmen and Congresswomen run across a field of rakes every morning to get to work. For me, it would only take a few rakes in the face per day to make me feel as if my tax dollars weren’t a complete waste."

Arrgh...tax time is here and it makes me crazy that I feel I have so little impact on where my tax dollars are being spent. I do not feel that many people currently holding administrative office in our government are the representation of how I feel about life, the universe, and everything, and yes, I voted. At this point, I think the current administration is simply keeping the status quo until 2008 just so a new administration will have to step in to be "the bad guys". If there are any other possible scenarios that you see...please enlighten me because I welcome the idea of feeling less frustrated about this.

Political humor helps me get through the day, and government has, quite frankly, been made fun of since, well, the beginning of government. Even Julius Caesar's life had a dash of irony. There will never be a government everyone is in love with. However, the divisiveness of our country has been at such high levels, partisanship does not even seem like a viable definition anymore.

1 comment:

Holmes said...

I never paid a lot of attention to taxes until I started teaching 9 years ago. Just seeing the waste on our own little sector of the universe is infuriating.

Nevermind the PAPER that the government wastes... if we could just do something about the PAPER... that in itself would probably save about three billion dollars.

Then I get angry because the government has had my money, interest-free, for a year... getting a refund doesn't make me happy. It infuriates me.

I underscore your sentiments.
I do.