Thursday, April 12, 2007

You will be missed...

Farewell Kurt Vonnegut -- November 11,1922 - April 11, 2007

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_re_us/obit_vonnegut

I first read Slaughterhouse-Five when I was thirteen. I was hooked...who was this radical thinker to which nothing was sacred? I felt as though Vonnegut was someone who opened my door to thinking freely and questioning ideas and ideals throughout culture and society.

He cared enough to debate societal norms and trends without seeming bitterly cynical or burnt-out. His high ethical and moral standards pervaded his writing. Issues he raised showed how much he loved humanity, and wanted to see it survive, evolve, thrive.

I will miss his humor the most. Though wickedly dry, it always contained a heartrending undertone of hopefulness.

2 comments:

Chiv said...

Journey, if you are into Vonnegut you need to check out Joseph Heller

journeyinfinite said...

Thx, 51, I shall :-)